Thursday, April 3, 2014

Five Ways to Save Money!

I'm a bargain hunter - third generation. I was only six the first time my grandmother took me to the original Filene's Basement in downtown Boston and explained to me that I should never pay full price for something if I could get it at a discount. If you've never heard of FB, it was this cavernous, complicated space under one of Boston's most chic department stores, where you could get top-quality, name-brand clothing and accessories for a fraction of what it would cost on the floors above. Tables piled high with dresses, skirts, slacks and blouses - seconds, odd lots, manufacturers close-outs; rickety racks of fancy shoes; tuxedos and fur coats; and a crowd rummaging through it all with cut-throat intentions, looking for the deals of the day.

Filene's "automatic reduction" policy was addictive. After  a week, the price dropped by 25%. Two weeks, and you'd pay only half the original price (which normally would have started out lower than the original price anyway). Three weeks unsold meant the price was a quarter of where it started. And at thirty days - if you found something that had been around that long - the merchandise was given away.

I loved it. I came back on my own, as a teen and as an adult, seeking the holy grail - great style, perfect fit, and miniscule price. More often than not I came away empty handed, but every now and again I'd strike it lucky. Either way it was exciting.

Anyway, Amazon has something a bit like Filene's automatic discounts, only it works in the other direction. Kindle Countdown Deals go on for three to five days, during a well-specified date range (though I'm never sure what time zone they use). A book on a Kindle Countdown starts at a really low price - 99 cents for books at Amazon US. Over the course of the countdown days, the price climbs back up toward the regular level. So this is definitely the case of the early bird chowing down on the worm.
 
Five of my books from Books We Love will be on Kindle Countdown over the next few weeks. If you've been tempted to read Spank Me Again Stranger, Body Electric, Bangkok Noir, Nasty Business or Exposure, but not quite ready to shell out the cash, here's your chance to get your very own copies - cheap! To help you get the most of this deal, I've created a handy little table below. The deals are gooing on between today and the first week in May, so bookmark this page for handy reference!

I've included buy links and to excerpts, too - just to make it easy. Don't miss this chance to save some of your hard-earned dough, and get some great reading besides!


Site URLStartEnd
Amazon.comApril 3, 2014April 10, 2014
Amazon.co.ukApril 4, 2014April 11, 2014
Read an excerpt
Site URLStartEnd
Amazon.comApril 11, 2014April 17, 2014
Amazon.co.ukApril 11, 2014April 17, 2014
Read an excerpt
Site URLStartEnd
Amazon.comApril 18, 2014April 24, 2014
Amazon.co.ukApril 18, 2014April 24, 2014
Read an excerpt
Site URLStartEnd
Amazon.comApril 25, 2014May 1, 2014
Amazon.co.ukApril 25, 2014May 1, 2014
Read an excerpt
Site URLStartEnd
Amazon.comMay 2, 2014May 8, 2014
Amazon.co.ukMay 2, 2014May 8, 2014
Read an excerpt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)