Saturday, November 16, 2013

An Interview with Mei Lee Wong - with PRIZES!




Yesterday Totally Bound released my newest story, Her Secret Ingredient, as part of their What's Her Secret imprint. I'm celebrating all weekend! Today I have an interview with the intrepid heroine of the tale, Mei Lee “Emily” Wong. Tomorrow I'll be treating you to my 100th Sunday Snog, excerpted from the same story. Leave a comment on either or both posts and I'll enter you into a grand giveaway. You could win one of the following prizes:

  • >> Book pack of two autographed print books – Master Me anthology and Cream anthology
  • >> Autographed print copy of the Switch anthology
  • >> Ebook version of my classic first novel, Raw Silk
By the way, if you buy Her Secret Ingredient directly from Totally Bound, you'll get my exclusive bonus chapter – which is, in my opinion, the hottest part of the story!

Anyway, let's get on with the interview.

Lisabet Sarai: Welcome to Beyond Romance, Ms. Wong.




Mei Lee Wong: Please, call me Emily. All my friends do, and I should think you of all people would count among that number. And feel free to ask me any questions you like. After all, it's just us girls here, right?


LS: Thanks, Emily! To start with, I'd like to know why you decided to come to the U.S. You had a plum job as head chef at The Belvedere, which I understand is one of the most famous French restaurants in Hong Kong. Why give that up?

MW: Well, I'm only on leave at the moment. I'm not the sort to burn my bridges. Originally, I was just invited to do a couple of guest spots with the Tastes of France channel, a matter of four to six weeks. I didn't know I'd be offered a season contract.

LS: But you must have had hopes.

MW: Going international had its attractions. Hong Kong is a pretty small island (laughs). I figured that appearing with the renowned Etienne Duvalier on American television was pretty certain to help my career, regardless of the long term possibilities. And once I got a look at Etienne...

LS: Yes?

MW: You've watched his show, haven't you? Or at least seen him on YouTube? He's sophisticated, charming and oh – so attractive! His accent melts me like butter on a griddle, and his butt... Can I talk about his ass here?

LS: Sure. There are no heat limits at Beyond Romance!

MW: He's got these round, muscular buttocks – well, you get the picture. And he dresses impeccably, in tailored slacks that make the most of his assets. (Chuckles.) Sorry!

LS: So you had the hots for the network head even before you arrived in San Francisco?

MW: Let's just say that his good looks provided me with additional motivation to accept the network's offer.

LS: Did he live up to your expectations?

MW: He's just as gorgeous in person as on the screen. But he's not the easiest person to please.

LS: I've heard he has a reputation for being a bit arrogant and critical.

MW: He's a perfectionist about everything, most especially food – and a diehard traditionalist. According to Etienne, there's just one way to cook French dishes. He actually called my fusion recipes “sacrilege”.

LS: I gather you managed to win him over, though.

MW: With a little help from my “secret”!

LS: And what about Harry Sanborne?

MW: Ah, Harry! (looks dreamy for a moment)

LS: Yes? What's going through your mind, Emily?

MW: Sorry, just remembering the first time Harry and I … well, you know.

LS: An accident, as I recall.

MW: A most fortuitous accident! Sometimes I think my grandmother's Wise Ones are looking out for me – even when I make dumb decisions, things work out. I'm very fortunate.

LS: It's not all luck. Don't play down your talents.

MW: Oh, come on! I'm not the type to be humble. I know I'm talented, in cooking and in other areas. I'm the youngest person in Michelin's history to serve as head chef at a three start restaurant - not to mention one of the only women. But I don't always think things through... Sometimes I'm too much swayed by my heart.

LS: And what does your heart say now – about Etienne, and about Harry?

MW: My poor heart is very confused. Harry saved my reputation and my career, and despite his rather nerdy appearance, he's a fabulous lover. And there's definitely something more than just sex between us. He says he loves me, and I'm pretty sure I feel the same.

Still, there's something that draws me to Etienne as well... a sort of vulnerability under his imperturbable facade.

LS: Maybe you can have them both.

MW: Do you think so? I suppose that's up to you – you're the author.

LS: Just wait until the next book, Emily!



Don't forget to leave a comment (with your email address, please!) and enter my grand giveaway!


8 comments:

Debby said...

Great premise. I could use a few secret ingredients. I enjoyed the interview as well.

Jana Leah B said...

Enjoyed the interview. Thanks for the giveaway. turtle6422@gmail.com

erin said...

thanks for the awesome "interview"! This is the first I've come across this book/author and I'm definitely interested :) Congrast to Lisbet on the new release!
efender1(at)gmail

Colleen C. said...

I truly enjoy character interviews! Congrats on this latest release Lisabet! Thanks for sharing with us!
greenshamrock AT cox DOT net

Booksrforever123 said...

truly adorable character. one wishes to see what happens next. Carolyn
j-coverholser at sbcglobal dot net

Lori R said...

I always love reading your posts. They are so original.
lringel(at)Comcast.net(dot)net

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds like one I'll love!

Trix, vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

Anonymous said...

A great premise for a story - I look forward to reading it

cheyenne at cheyenneblue dot com

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! (And if you're having trouble commenting, try enabling third-party cookies in your browser...)